Exchange Programs

Exchange student

Queen's offers numerous international exchange opportunities

Read about Jess Levy's ongoing experience at the University of Warwick at her blog:


You are welcome to book an appointment to discuss Exchange opportunities for the 2018-2019 academic year. Please contact or stop in at RM 300, Beamish-Munro Hall to book your appointment.

Contact the Faculty Exchange Coordinator, to confirm availability of exchange opportunities. Students can also take advantage of study opportunities at the Bader International Study Centre, located in Herstmonceux Castle in the south of England.

How to Apply

General Information


Students on exchange

The benefits to spending a year studying or working abroad are infinite. Besides the fulfillment of an experience, which is exciting and challenging on both an academic and personal level, an exchange student is provided with a opportunity to live in a different culture, access the unique strengths of other universities, and acquire professional friends and contacts on another continent. As the number of engineering graduates obtaining employment on international land increases, having a network of contacts abroad and a knowledge of other cultures and languages can be tremendous assets. A person who works or studies abroad often gains an understanding of a country and its culture that by far exceeds that which one can acquire as a tourist.

These notes seek to outline the work opportunities and study opportunities available to Engineering and Applied Science students. Some exchanges are university wide or even country wide. Others are specific to Engineering and Applied Science at Queen's. Some are administered locally, others elsewhere in Canada or even abroad. Taken together, they offer a wide range of opportunities.

Work opportunities exist under IAESTE (International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience). Study opportunities exist under University-to-University agreements. Also, there is the possibility of spending a term at Herstmonceux, the English castle donated to Queen's by an engineering graduate, Dr. Alfred Bader. Although not an exchange, a term at Herstmonceux provides many of the same benefits as an exchange year.

Beginning in January 1997, all non-academic aspects of exchanges are run by a central office at Queen's, just as they are at most of the universities with which we operate exchanges. The person responsible is Maryann Severin. Her office is in Gordon Hall, RM 200, her telephone is (613) 533-2604 and her e-mail is

back to top

Work Opportunities

Summer jobs, mostly in Europe, can very often be arranged through IAESTE. Several Queen's engineering students each year find summer work through IAESTE, usually in western Europe. For more information,please access the following web page

The Canada-Japan Co-op Exchange is open only to people with both eight months or more of engineering related experience and a working knowledge of the Japanese language. Those are very restrictive conditions, but there has already been one instance where a Queen's engineering student has qualified. This Exchange is sponsored jointly by the Canadian and Japanese governments.

back to top

Exchanges: University-to-University

The Faculty Exchange Coordinator in the Faculty Office (Beamish-Munro 300, (613)533-6000 X78289) has information on the institutions with which we have agreements. She should be your main contact while you are away.

We have agreements with the following Institutions:

Please note: most of the universities that indicate a secondary language require proof of proficiency prior to admission. Please contact the Faculty Exchange Coordinator if you have any questions about this.

Universities with Engineering programs


In addition to bilateral exchange, Queen’s University also has a number of multi-faculty exchange programs for which Engineering and Applied Science students are also eligible to submit applications. Program information and the online application for these exchanges is/will be available at

The online application form is submitted to the International Programs Office, B206 Mackintosh-Corry Hall. (An e-mail acknowledgement of submitted applications is also generated.)

Along with the online form, the official exchange program application form and all supporting documents must also be submitted to the International Programs Office (B206 Mackintosh-Corry Hall) by the published deadlines listed below. Students should include their name and student number on all supporting documents.

St. Andrews Exchange

The Queen's University exchange to St Andrews is one of the oldest at Queen's University and also provides a very generous scholarship award for successful candidates from both Queen's University and the University of St Andrews. The Robert Tyre Jones Jr. Scholarships are designed to award all-around excellence in students exchanging between the University of St Andrews and selected Canadian universities (Queen's and the University of Western Ontario). These scholarships are awarded on the basis of outstanding academic performance to candidates who demonstrate a passion for the pursuit of learning and a commitment to the ongoing life of their university and/or wider community. 

The scholarships are valued at $6,000 CDN each and there are 4 positions available for this scholarship and exchange. The Queen's-St Andrews exchange is open to undergraduate students from the Faculty of Arts and Science and the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science.

Although technically a multifaculty/consortial exchange, there is a different application process for this program. Please ensure you follow the St Andrew Exchange application process outlined on the application page.

back to top

Bader International Study Centre at Herstmonceux

Study abroad with Queen’s University at the Bader International Study Centre at Herstmonceux Castle in the south of England. This facility was given to Queen's by an Engineering and Applied Science alumnus, Alfred Bader, and provides opportunities to combine Canadian education with a superb European experience.

Studying at the BISC you will benefit from small class sizes, strong instructor-student support, and take part in experiential learning opportunities in each course. As all courses are Queen’s courses, no credit transfer is required.

Global Project Management Field School

In this exciting 7-week summer program based in Kingston, Canada and Herstmonceux Castle, UK, you will be challenged to think about how Engineering operates within global cultures and international cities. As well as teaching principles of project management (using the PMBOK and Prince2 system) this course also teaches the history and culture of urban design, and provides a comprehensive portrait of both the culture of cities and how large projects are managed, financed, and completed.

Program website:


back to top

Who can go on Exchange?

Normally, people choose their third year to go on exchange. Herstmonceux can be fit in almost anywhere, since it will necessarily involve an extra term (or a summer).

Please note that an Engineering Cumulative Grade Point Average (ECGPA) of at least 2.70 is required.

back to top

Additional Information

Many of the people who have taken exchanges have done so without extending their four year program. In order to achieve this, you will wish to receive credit for all or most of the studies abroad. To do so, you will have to obtain the approval of your Undergraduate Chair and the Operations Committee, Academic Progress Chair. As you will be essentially replacing work at Queen's with work abroad, it will take some time to work out a suitable program. Many students enlist the help of their Academic Advisors when making these decisions. In some cases, it may not be possible to find a suitable group of subjects. Accreditation restrictions must be observed. European universities have different term lengths, different course structures, different orders in which courses are taken.

Some people may wish to have the freedom to choose subjects that do not fulfil degree requirements, or may wish to pursue language studies, or have a lighter load, etc. These students intentionally take an additional term or two in their education. Students who go to Herstmonceux or who manage to win the St. Andrews Exchange Scholarship are inevitably in this category because neither St. Andrews University nor the Bader International Study Centre at Herstmonceux offer engineering subjects; but even students going to engineering universities have found this to be a good approach.

In several of the exchanges, the language of instruction is other than English. You must be sufficiently competent in the language to understand lectures, read textbooks, write examinations and so forth. The Ontario agreement that covers Karlsruhe and Stuttgart does include some language training. The German Department does offer a specialized program of preparation, as noted above. The Swedish Government offers subsidized courses in the Swedish language in Sweden. Queen's offers instruction in French, German, Italian and Spanish.

Some of you will hold scholarships. During your exchange year, these may be active (if you are fulfilling degree requirements) or deferred (if you are taking an extra term for Herstmonceux or arts studies). Consult the Student Awards Office about your options.

back to top

Tuition and Fees

The Exchange Program has a $125.00 fee, payable upon successful acceptance into the program. Each exchange student pays tuition and fees at their home university. Thus your fees will be the same as they would be here. Our partner universities offer assistance in finding rooms but the cost of the rooms is your expense. European living costs vary from city to city, and are usually higher than those in Kingston. Travel and insurance of all kinds, plus all other incidentals are also your responsibility.

back to top


Under an exchange, it is usually easy to obtain a student visa (embassy, high commission or consulate). Please keep in mind that obtaining a passport and a visa are your responsibilities. 

back to top

How to Decide

First, talk to such people as your Departmental Advisor, students who have studied abroad, the Faculty Exchange Coordinator in the Student Services Office, parents, the Associate Dean, or any relevant individual. Read whatever is available in the Faculty Office and in the Stauffer Library Reference Room (e.g. the Commonwealth Universities Yearbook, LB2310, and the International Handbook of Universities, L900). Students, however, often find that the most up-to-date information will be found on the web. If you decide to apply, deal with the people appropriate to your application as described. Watch the deadlines! Please keep in mind that although exchange can be a wonderful experience, you will be expected do most of the preparation work yourself.

back to top