International Students

Term Dates Academic Programs Living Costs Housing Academics Student Services Documentation Kingston

Welcome to the new International Student webpage. This is your portal for the information important to you! We've made some changes to ensure finding relevant information is quick and easy. Have a look around, If you don't see what you're looking for, or if you need any other assistance, email us at

General Queen’s University Information

Queen’s University is one of Canada’s oldest and most prestigious universities, and graduates from its engineering program have gone on to successful careers at some of the largest global corporations and provide a powerful network of alumni contacts.

Queen’s University is consistently ranked as one of Canada’s top universities. It is among Canada’s oldest degree-granting institutions, established in 1841 by Royal Charter of Queen Victoria—26 years before Canada was founded as a country.

Today, the Queen’s University community features tradition, academic excellence, research, and a beautiful waterfront campus with venerable, ivy covered, limestone buildings side by side with modern research and teaching facilities. Queen’s students come from across Canada and more than 70 countries worldwide.

Since 1894, the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science has been providing the best engineering education Canada has to offer, preparing students for leadership in a global society with top-quality, technically rigorous engineering programs.

Queen’s Engineering admits fewer than 900 of the highest-calibre undergraduate students from Canada and abroad each year. Ninety-one per cent of Engineering’s undergraduate students complete their degrees—the highest success rate of any engineering program in Canada.

Graduates leave Queen’s with an outstanding, committed alumni network that will sustain them throughout their careers.

Contact Information

University Website:
Faculty Website:
Mailing Address: Queen’s University
Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science
Beamish Munro Hall
45 Union St, Room 300
Kingston, Ontario,
Canada K7L 3N6
Telephone number : 613-533-2055
Fax number: 613-533-2721
International Student Experience Associate:
Student Services Manager: Stacy Shane,
Main Reception:

Term Dates 2018-2019

TermDates (including exams period)Expected Arrival Date
Fall 2018 6-September-November 30 Before 06 September (to attend Orientation)
Winter 2018 07 January - April 5 Before 07 January 2018


Nomination/Application information

Nomination Application
Fall 2017 Deadline 1 April 2017 30 April 2017
Winter 2018 Deadline

Early: April 1

September 1

Early deadline: 30 April 2018

Final: 30 September 2017*

Back to top

Academic Programs in Engineering and Applied Science

The Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science offers degree programs in ten disciplines. The codes for these programs and for the courses in those disciplines are given below. Students may also wish to consult the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science Calendar, which lists all courses offered in the last five years.

ProgramProgram CodeCourse Code
Chemical Engineering CHEE CHEE
Civil Engineering CIVL CIVL
Computer Engineering CMPE CMPE or ELEC
Electrical Engineering ELEC ELEC
Engineering Chemistry ENCH ENCH
Engineering Physics ENPH ENPH
Geological Engineering GEOE GEOE
Mathematics and Engineering MTHE MTHE or STAT
Mechanical Engineering MECH MECH
Mining Engineering MINE MINE
Faculty Courses APSC
Multi-department Courses MDEP

Back to top

Approximate Living Costs

Below are approximate living expenses for a single student. Costs may vary:

Exchange Students

One Term (4 months) Two Terms (8 months)
On Campus Housing:
Residence Fees (excluding meal plan) $3,807 $7,614
ResNet (Internet Fees) $80 $160
Student Council Fees (rates vary according to residence) $57.50 $115
Off-campus Housing $2,200 - $2,800 (approx.) $4,400 - $5,600 (approx.)
Food 1,200 (approx.) 2,400 (approx.)
UHIP Medical Insurance (mandatory) Single Student Rate $204 $612
Supplementary Medical Insurance (optional) $298.50
Textbooks & Supplies $400 - $500 (approx.) $600 - $1,000 (approx.)
Cell Phone Plans $35 - $85 per month $35 - $85 per month
Clothing/Laundry $250 (approx.) $500 (approx.)
Miscellaneous $400 - $2,000 $800 - $4,000

Degree International Students

School Year (Sept - April
On Campus Housing:
Residence Fees (with mandatory meal plan) $12,859 - $14,584
ResNet (Internet Fees) $160
Student Council Fees (rates vary according to residence) $115
Snack Plan $150
Off-campus Housing $500 - $800 (per month)
Food 1,200 (approx.)
UHIP Medical Insurance (mandatory) Single Student Rate $612
Supplementary Medical Insurance (optional) $298.50
Textbooks & Supplies $600 - $1,000 (approx.)
Cell Phone Plans $35 - $85 per month
Miscellaneous $400 - $4,000

Back to top


On campus (residence):

Many exchange and first year international students choose to stay in residence at Queen's University.

Full-time first year students are guaranteed a place in residence as long as applications and deposit are submitted by the deadline. For more information, please visit:

Undergraduate exchange students interested in staying in residence will be assigned a room based on availability to Jean Royce Hall. For more information, please visit

Off campus:

International and Exchange students may also choose to live off-campus. Finding appropriate living arrangements in Kingston can be a challenge, especially in the Fall term. We recommend that if you choose to live off-campus, you come to Kingston at least one week early to find adequate accommodations.

One of the best off-campus housing options for exchange students is the Kingston Student Housing Co-operative (aka Science '44 Co-op)

Queen's Housing Databases:

We recommend that students do not sign a lease or send rent money to a landlord before arriving in Kingston. For more information and advice on finding accommodation, please visit 

The following local map may help to determine the proximity of these properties to Queen's campus: 

Back to top

Learning Expectations

Language of Instruction:

Course Load:
Undergraduate degree seeking students come into first year in Engineering and Applied Science and study based on a common curriculum. It is an introduction to all of the engineering programs offered by the Faculty. Students choose their engineering program in February of first year. The choice is open (no caps, quotas, or minimum marks needed) provided all 1st year courses are completed successfully.

Exchange students are recommended to take a minimum of 15 credits (CR) per term; 30 CR for the full year. As an example, 60 ECTS credits is usually considered a full course load in most European institutions and is equivalent to 30.0 Queen’s units. Please note: Queen’s Undergraduate degree seeking Engineering students take more than 15 credits per term – course load is to be determined by the home university and visiting student, should both feel that more than 15 credits is required for their home program

Course Weight:
Course weights in Engineering and Applied Science varies. 1 credit = one 50 minute lecture) and to laboratory assignments, tutorial, and significant project work (0.5 credits =one hour).

Course Types:
LECT Lecture; LAB Laboratory; TUT Tutorial


Letter GradeGrade PointsNumeric Equivalent
A+ 4.3 90-100%
A 4.0 85-89%
A- 3.7 80-84%
B+ 3.3 77-79%
B 3.0 73-76%
B- 2.7 70-72%
C+ 2.3 67-69%
C 2.0 63-66%
C- 1.7 60-62%
D+ 1.3 57-59%
D 1.0 53-56%
D- 0.7 50-52%
FR 0.0 40-49%
F 0.0 0-39%

Course Choices:
Most Engineering and Applied Science courses are open to exchange students provided that they have all the appropriate prerequisite courses. Please note that availability in some courses may be limited in the event that there is limited spacing and/or the course is core for degree-seeking students.

Requirements vary for each course. An extra half hour during examination is available to exchange students whose first language is not English.

Back to top

Student Services

International and Exchange Advisor

Students can stop by or make an appointment to meet with an Advisor at Room 300, Beamish-Munro Hall.

Academic Advice

For academic advice, exchange students are advised to contact the Undergraduate Program Assistant in his/her department.

ProgramProgram CodeUndergraduate Chair
Chemical Engineering CHEE Liann Joanette,
Civil Engineering CIVL Angelina Gencarelli,
Computer Engineering CMPE Irina Pavich,
Electrical Engineering ELEC Irina Pavich,
Engineering Chemistry ENCH Liann Joanette,
Engineering Physics ENPH Melissa Balson,
Geological Engineering GEOE Larke Zarichny,
Mathematics and Engineering MTHE Johana Ng,
Mechanical Engineering MECH Jacquie Brown,<
Mining Engineering MINE Tina McKenna,

The Integrated Learning Centre

The Integrated Learning Centre (ILC) is located in Beamish-Munro Hall and is a part of the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science. It comprises staff, spaces and equipment that contribute significantly to the quality of undergraduate education in that Faculty, and is among the leading facilities for engineering education worldwide. The fundamental role of the ILC is to create a multidisciplinary learning environment which integrates theory with practice, develops team skills, the capability of life-long learning and open-ended program solving abilities. The ILC provides both the staff and the structures necessary to improve learning effectiveness and to develop markedly enhanced professional skills. Its physical features include a first year studio, design studio, teaching studio, prototyping centre, multimedia facility and industrial space housing competitive teams such as Solar Design, Aero Design and Concrete Canoe.

Computer Service

Computers in Beamish-Munro Hall are available during ILC open hours (Monday - Thursday: 7:30 am to 11 pm; Friday: 8 am to 5:30 pm; Saturday: 11:30 am to 7 pm; Sunday: 11:30 am to 11 pm). Software includes Solid Edge, MATLAB, Maple, MS Office 2007, ADS, ANSYS, and other things.

Back to top

Queen's University International Centre (QUIC)

QUIC provides non-academic support service for international and exchange students through its various programs and activities throughout the academic year. Students can also receive advice on non-academic matters from the International Student Advisor, especially immigration matters. For more information about QUIC and its services for international and exchange students, please visit

On-Campus Facilities

Queen's University offers a range of facilities on campus including a Physical Education Centre, libraries, the Campus Bookstore, Student Health Services, a post office, various cafeterias, as well as an assortment of places in which to relax with friends (Queen's Pub, Alfies, Common Ground, just to name a few).

Note that: Exchange students receive a Queen's student card and have the same rights and privileges as a full-time Queen's student, including a free city bus pass.

Student Wellness Services

Student Wellness supports the personal, academic, and social development of students at Queen's University by providing a range of programs and services appropriate to their needs.

Accessibility Information:

Learning Strategies Development

Learning Strategies Development is a learning support service for students. Several options are available for students to enhance both their learning and study skills and their academic confidence: on-line resources, group workshops, individual consultations, and peer mentoring. For more information about available services, please visit 

Back to top

Visas and Study Permits

Entry Visas

Citizens of certain countries and territories will require a visa to visit Canada. For a full list of countries whose citizens require visas to enter Canada as visitors, please visit

Study Permit

Information on the required permits and visas for studying in Canada can be found here.

Applicants for a study permit will need to provide:

  • A valid passport;
  • Proof of acceptance from Queen's University (in the form of a letter of admission to Queen's);
  • Evidence of adequate funds to cover the cost of living expenses for the student and any dependents coming to Canada. Evidence includes personal bank statements and/or letters pledging financial support, from family or other sponsors;
  • Any further documents required by the applicant's visa office;
  • A medical examination may also be required.

A Study Permit is needed to work on campus, regardless of the length of study period. Exchange students may not work off-campus.

For more information: contact the QUIC International Student Advisor at

Back to top